For your own benefit and enjoyment during your stay in the monastery we would like you to observe this timetable:
|4.00 am – 5.30 am||Midnight praise (Tasbeha)|
|5.30 am – 9.00am||Rest|
|9.00 am – 12.00pm||Holy Liturgy1|
|12.00 pm– 1.00pm||Lunch|
|1.00 pm – 5.00pm||Work / personal meditation|
|5.00 pm – 5.30pm||Sunset prayers at church2|
|5.30 pm – 6.30pm||Personal meditation / reading time|
|6.30 pm – 7.30pm||Dinner|
|7.30 pm – 8.30pm||Spiritual time with Abouna|
|8.30 pm – 9.00pm||Supper|
|9.00 pm – 9.30pm||Prayer before sleep at church|
|10.00 pm – 4.00am||Bedtime|
Note: Please make sure you attend all the prayers and benefit spiritually.
1 12.00pm – 3.00 pm During Great Lent
2 5.00 – 6.00pm Vesper prayer (On Sat only)
“But you, when you pray, go to your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.” (Matthew 6:6)
The Retreat Moto
“What salt is for any food, humility is for every virtue. To acquire it, a man must always think of himself with contrition, self-belittlement and painful self-judgment. But if we acquire it, it will make us sons of God.” (St. Isaac the Syrian)
- Prayers, Holy Liturgies, Bed and wake up times should be known and strictly followed by all those attending the retreat.
- Be aware that you are guests on these premises and sharing with other occupants, so please respect the private areas of others.
- Rooms must be kept tidy and clean at all times.
- Blankets, pillows, sheets, etc, are not to be switched between rooms.
- Food/Drinks are not allowed in the rooms under any circumstances.
- Rooms should not be locked under any circumstances.
- On departure; bins are to be emptied, fans, heaters, lights are to be switched off and windows are to be shut.
- Bushwalks and leaving the monastery should be with permission from the father in charge.
- Keep the voice level down at all time.
Please note that this is a retreat house and not a camp site, so you should behave accordingly. We hope you enjoy your stay at St Shenouda retreat house and that you have gained spiritual benefit.